07836 613544

Training Details

Have you got a burning desire to learn to fly?

Maybe you’re a pilot / ex pilot already and you want to convert to microlight flying. Whichever applies to you about to be immersed in whats probably the most fun and cost effective form of aviation you’ll find. A student pilot will typically fly a minimum of twenty five hours of which ten must be solo. You can see in the table below a breakdown of the average flying time and exercises.

Effects of controls / Straight and level flight / Turning / Climbing and descending 2 hours
Slow flight / Stall awareness 1 hour
Take off and Landing 3 hours
Advanced turning 1 hour
Forced Landings 1 hour
Solo flying 7 hours
Navigation 5 hours

The remaining five hours will be made up of a combination of the above. We can provide you with briefing notes for your fixed-wing flight training. We must stress though that the above figures are a guide only.

In addition to your required flying experience you’ll need a medical form signed by your doctor (don’t panic you won’t need a full Civil Aviation Auhthority medical). You’ll also be required to pass 5 multiple choice ground exams, in the following subjects:-

  1. Air Law (required before you go solo)
  2. Navigation
  3. Meteorology
  4. Principles of flight
  5. Human Performance

You’ll need to allow about a week of study time per exam (assuming a couple of hours per night), which you can do at home.

Flying lessons are initially taken on the school aircraft until the time that you are ready to go solo, then you must train on your own aeroplane, if it is deemed suitable (or part owned, as you can buy into a syndicate to keep the costs down). Also the training rates are lower when you learn on your own machine, but you must fuel and maintain it yourself (see our section on ‘The Aircraft’ for information on the various types and options)

Each dual lesson will consist of a pre-flight briefing, flying time and a post flight briefing as necessary. Once the required flying time has been completed and the exams passed and when your instructor is happy, you’ll be entered for your GST (General Skills Test – You can download a copy of the structure of the test below). Now assuming that you pass this you’ll apply to the CAA for your NPPL (Microlight) licence. And hey presto, you’re now a qualified pilot!